Wednesday, September 11, 2013

GLE W1: Treasure Hunt and Fun with 'x'


Little Man (4) has started Pre-K!!

I went out searching for a curriculum that I could use with Little Man because he has been asking for months for 'school' to do like sister. I just happened to stumble upon God's Little Explorers by Motherhood on a Dime. I'm excited to see where this journey takes us. I am not forcing him to do anything. I have our weeks planned out with things for him to accomplish but if he loses interest and wants to play away from his sister, I'm good with that. If he wants to sit and work with us, then that is great, too. Pre-K, for us, is to be fun and engaging for my little man nothing else. So, here is how our first week went.






Theme: God's Word is a Treasure / "x" marks the spot
Letter: 'x'
Shape: rectangle

The first day went pretty well as planned in the planner. The rest of week one... well, you can read my reality check here

Our 'school' day begins with Bible and prayer and then we fill in our calendar notebook. The calendar notebook is mostly for my daughter, Miss E (6), however, Little Man (4) really wants to do everything she is doing. He just follows along. Our calendar is a work in progress, I will post what we do exactly when I get things ironed out. Our first day was a disaster. 

We started our week off with a treasure hunt! I read Going on a Bear Hunt to the kids and then told them that I had hidden some school supplies around the house. The way the could find them was by finding the 'x'; 'x' marks the spot! They had a lot of fun. Miss E even told me she wanted me to hide things again so she could continue looking for things.


While I had Miss E work on her math, I had Little Man work on the cover to his ABC Binder. I got out my letter stamps (I found them at Target) and let him go to town. Once he was finished decorating his cover page, he worked on putting the stamps back into their little box. This kept him busy while I finished up math with his sister. A total win for me!

Both kids had fun making binoculars. They were both excited about using them to 'find' things. Little Man even told me when he was done that he wanted them stored up high on a shelf so they wouldn't get ruined. Pretty much the first time he took pride in one of his projects.

The rest of week one pretty much fell apart as far as the 'lesson plan' goes.
I bought this large magnetic oil pan from Wal-Mart. I pulled out all my capital letter magnets and put them in alphabetical order. I asked Little Man to find the X. He did and then he played with the letters. When he was through with the letters I got out my magnetic sticks and he started 'building' with them. He did make a rectangle among other shapes. I actually left this up for the rest of the week and he played with it several times.

 We also made our treasure map and put on our first piece. He just loved being able to use the marker.

Miss E has a lot of copywork to do with her curriculum and I thought it would be fun to work on her spelling words without pencil and paper. Of course, if you do one thing with one child you have to do it for both. So, out came the shaving cream. Little man worked on making 'x's. NOTE: Next time I will just put the shaving cream on the table. The cookie sheets kept sliding around and both kids got frustrated.

He did a couple of more little activities with the letter 'x'.  Mostly our week was spent trying to balance 1st grade with pre-k and keeping everyone, included this mom, happy.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

You can find God's Little Explorers Week 1 here.
MotherHoodOnADime.com

No comments:

Post a Comment