Saturday, June 30, 2012

Curriculum

Okay, not that I really did this but did you know that if you googled kindergarten curriculum you would be overwhelmed?? Did you know that if you asked anyone who has done any kind of home schooling you would get a wide range of curriculum?? It is amazing how much stuff is out there. You can get curriculum for FREE though downloads and following tons of blogs or you can pay a ton of money and have everything arrive in a pretty box. (Okay maybe the box is not pretty but you have everything you would need for that year.)

I've been doing my research on curriculum for my family for awhile now. I thought I had it all decided and then I felt the Lord telling me to keep looking. So, I've been looking and looking, praying for peace and that God would show me what He wanted us to do.

I ordered the Foundations book from Classical Conversations early in the spring. I'm really excited about the memory work we are going to do. I've decided that we are only going to do the History, English, Math, and Science portions this year. If we continue through the cycles, we will cover this cycle 4 times so what we skip this time around we will catch in three years.

I also decided that we will, together as a family, learn about the Biblical Holidays. "The Biblical holidays were instituted by God as an integral part of the divine worship system of the church. They are, as He intended, a remembrance and memorial in honor of what God has done for His people."

This is what I'm most excited about! I know that as we work through the holidays we are going to learn more about our Lord and Savor and for that I know we will all be rewarded. We are going to start in August by studying about the Sabbath. We will then take a holiday each month. September will be The Feast of Trumpets (Rosh Hashanah); October, Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur); November, Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkoth); December, Hanukkah; January, Purim; February, Passover (Pesach); March, Feast of UnLeavened Bread (Hag HaMatzah); April, Firstfruits (Yom Habikkurim); May, Feast of Weeks, Pentecost (Shavuot).

Our core curriculum will be with Epi Kardia. Epi Kardia is a Christian literature-based unit study curriculum that uses Charlotte Mason methods. I'm excited about the 'living books' that we will be reading along with the fact that history will be chronological. I also love how there will be fine arts woven into each unit.

Lastly we will be using Singapore Math.

I'm excited to get things started. It is going to be an adventure. It would not be honest of me to say that I'm ready. I have a lot of work to do these next few month in getting 'prepared' and getting things organized. It will come. I need to work on a schedule and learn grace. Let the adventure begin.

**The purpose of this blog is to help me keep my thoughts straight as I go through this process. As we start school in the fall, I will update with what we do and what we've learned. I've heard that I will learn more than my kids and for that I'm truly excited!!

Thanks for reading, I hope maybe along this journey I'll be an encouragement to you. Feel free to share any of your ideas or encouragement along the way. If something I say or do brings an 'ah ha' to your mind, please share.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment